Monday, February 23, 2009

IP&T 301: Social Constructivism Lesson Plan

I have decided to adjust this lesson plan to utilize the social learning strategy of Cognitive Apprenticeship. I believe that Cognitive Apprenticeship is a very successful way of teaching children because they have the opportunity to learn under the guidance of an expert or more knowledgeable other. By observing the expert, working with the help of the expert, and eventually working toward an independent knowledge of what is being taught, this learning strategy really helps students to develop a thorough understanding.

More Knowledgeable Other: In teaching this lesson on shapes with the Cognitive Apprenticeship approach, I would be the "more knowledgeable other," or expert on the information the children are learning. Throughout the lesson, the children would have opportunities to observe me and listen to my explanations of shapes and their characteristics in order to develop their own understanding of shapes.

Cultural or Symbolic Tools:
1. I Spy: We will use the common game of "I Spy" to begin the lesson on shapes. I will describe something I see in our classroom by stating the characteristics of its shape, and the children will guess what it is that I am describing.

2. Language: Language will be extremely important throughout the lesson because it will be used to describe and name each of the different shapes. It will help to clarify for the children any misconceptions or misunderstandings they may have about the different shapes. Also, we will use language and singing to learn a song about shapes that will help the children to remember the characteristics and names of each of the shapes we explore through this lesson.

3. Actual Cut-Outs of Shapes: I will provide the children with cut-outs of each of the shapes we will be learning about so that they will be able to manipulate them and really see what they are like.

4. Paper and Crayons: We will do a listening activity in which I will ask them to color each shape on their paper a certain color. This will help them to visualize which shape is which, and it will help me to assess their understanding of shape identification.

5. Riddles: I will use shape riddles to describe different shapes and see if they can guess which shape I am describing.

6. Numbers: We will use numbers as part of our explanations of shapes by describing the number of sides each shape has, the number of corners it has, etc.

7. Chart: As I teach the students about shapes, I will help them to be able to compare the different shapes by making a chart in which we write all the similarities and differences between the shapes.

Zone of Proximal Development: As I teach this lesson, I will make sure that I am always paying attention to how well my students are understanding what I am teaching to make sure that the instruction I give is at an instructional level for them. I will be sure to begin the lesson by modeling shape identification myself so that the students will be able to see what they will be asked to do later in the lesson. After I have modeled shape identification for them, I will then use the concept of the Zone of Proximal Development as a guide for my instruction. I will make sure that my instruction stays within my students' Zone of Proximal Development by first doing a lot of shape identification as a whole class. As they get more comfortable with identification as a class, I will then move into doing shape descriptions and identification in small groups. After they have become very comfortable with the group work, I will then give them individual assignments and activities so that they can show what they have learned. By gradually giving them more independence and more responsibility throughout the lesson, I will be able to keep them in their Zone of Proximal Development and make sure that they are always being pushed a little further to reach their individual potential. I will pay attention to the cues I get from my students during the lesson in order to know when it is appropriate to move to the next phase of the lesson so that I do not move too quickly or too slowly.

Scaffolding: I would use scaffolding throughout the lesson in order to help the children to be able to do a little more than they would be able to on their own. This will help them to then be able to develop the abilities to do the activities they do with my help on their own once they have a full understanding of it. In the beginning of the lesson, the students will need a lot more scaffolding from me because shape characteristics and identification will be somewhat unfamiliar to them. Throughout the lesson, they will get gradually more familiar with the information and the process of shape identification, so they will not need as much help from me. As we work together as a class in the beginning of the lesson, this will scaffold their learning so that they can begin to understand the concept of shapes. We will then move to group work, in which the scaffolding provided will be the assistance of other members of their groups, as well as my assistance as I move from group to group to help wherever is needed. Then, I will give them work to do individually so that they can show me what they personally have learned. However, I will be available to them to scaffold further when my students have any further questions. One final assignment I will give my students will be to go home and explain each shape to a family member. The family member must then find something in the house that is each shape described, and the student will explain why or why not the object is the same as the shape described. In this activity, the student becomes the teacher, but the student's learning is still being scaffolded by the family member.

Dialectical Relationship between Learner and MKO: As I work extensively with my students, I will be able to help them to increase their understanding of shapes and their characteristics. I will assist them in improving their abilities to recognize and identify shapes in their surroundings. Also, I will be able to increase their confidence in their abilities by being encouraging and supportive to them throughout the lesson, as well as through giving them good instruction so that they are able to develop a thorough understanding of the topic. In addition to the information I will give them, I will also learn a lot from my students as we go through the lesson. I will be able to solidify my understanding of the various descriptions of all shapes, and my students will be able to show me many different ways of thinking in order to identify and describe shapes. I will also come to a better understanding of my students, which will help me to be able to further assist them in their learning and development.

No comments:

Post a Comment